Link back to the Careers Page:
Timing Summer 2021
Location We're a fully-remote team, but we have a strong preference for people located in US time zones.
Compensation We try to be (more than) fair and (excessively) transparent, and avoid negotiating because it creates bias and unintended disparities.
Curious about our compensation? See here for a full breakdown of our compensation bands, expectations for each level. We expect the Paralegal role will be either L1 (from the Support bands) or L2 (from the OP bands), depending on experience & seniority.
Reporting — To either a) one of the cofounders, or b) to a Client Operations Lead (who reports to a cofounder)
- This is one of our more specialized roles, so please only apply if you have 2-8 years of experience as a paralegal or legal administrator / assistant. If you do not have this experience, please apply for the role instead.Support
- A strong candidate would:
- Feel totally comfortable with legal agreements and advising on best practices (with internal team + external clients)
- Geek out over the idea of standardizing legal documents
- Be a stickler for document specifics. When a comma is out of place, it bothers you!
- Bonus (not required, but would definitely be a plus):
- Have experience working in the venture industry — at a venture law firm, in-house as a paralegal or legal administrator
- Is intimately familiar with norms in startup legal work: SAFE agreements, option grants, NDAs, advisor agreements, CIIAs, etc.
- Understand the tradeoffs between legal risk and business risk, and help clients make effective judgment calls
Summary responsibilities — Our customers share a huge amount of critical legal information and documentation with AbstractOps. We don't provide legal advice, instead assisting with "legal ops." For example, we help them with:
- Document and data management: template form documents, classify files, extract useful data to inform future decisions and processes
- Coordinating with counsel: working with internal lawyers or outside counsel for clients, on legal needs (board consents, equity issuance, diligence before a fundraise, etc.), or standardizing legal templates and processes for hygiene and scale.
- Advise on legal ops: project managing cap tables or document issuance, ensuring compliance with local or federal regulation, etc. You are a critical part of this team and our customer's processes, and an expert on things that drive outcomes for the next unicorns in the ecosystem.
You'll be working hands-on with dozens of our clients. These are some of the most dynamic, fast growing and interesting businesses in startup tech. We believe that managing and understanding the web of legal documents at a company is crucial to a company's operations and success.
You will work closely with our operations partners, our product team, and our clients to make sure that we understand their documents and needs. You'll dig into their fundraising, human resources (HR), and compliance challenges.
- Phone Screen: 20-30 min with Adam (one of our co-founders)
- 1-2 Detailed Interviews with one of our Operations Partners / Leads
- 2 reference checks
- Offer & "Social Contract" (we love these! It's part of our culture)