- About AbstractOps
- Open Roles
- Why should you work with us? 🤔
- What would make you an amazing fit?
- Detailed Info
- Where you would spend your time
- What you’ll get to shape with us long term
- More About the Problem
- More About the Solution
- Our culture
- Our Process
- Check out our Team, Investors and more in the link below!
Right now, "corporate" functions — HR, finance, legal, compliance, vendor management — are very fragmented and inefficient, with dozens of point solutions that don't talk to each other. As a result, companies waste 10-20% of their time on things that are tedious but automatable.
This doesn't have to be the case. Think about how chaotic sales processes were before Salesforce, and how far that function has come in the couple of decades since. We're applying the same principles to rebuild the "company stack" (i.e., building an OS / connective tissue between HR, finance, legal, compliance and vendor management).
We're building a product that lets entrepreneurs run their company the way they'd write code -- we enable modular, reusable, and extensible processes, and integrate those with their existing back office systems.
Note: We're a remote-first company. While a third of our team is in the SF Bay Area, the rest is spread across North America and the globe.
Why should you work with us? 🤔
- 🚀 Crazy ambitious mission: we're rewriting core aspects of how every company in the world are built and run.
- 🤑 2-5x market norms for equity compensation: we don't have "founders" and "early employees" — only founding team members (more details below).
- 🎑 An abundance of emojis and gifs, wackiness, and bad jokes — we have a grown-up, thoughtful culture (the average team member has 8 years of experience) but we love having a playful side and a sense of humor.
- 👾 Lots of room to experiment, iterate, and build: we have a big mission, so some pieces will take a few tries (and we have 2+ years of runway to make that happen).
- 👓 So much transparency: we try really hard to do right: by the team, clients, stakeholders. When you have nothing to hide, you can be much more open and move faster ;).
What would make you an amazing fit?
- 🔀 You love complex systems: in every function (technical or not), we work in systems, processes, relational data. Thinking of 2nd / 3rd order efficiencies is our jam.
- 💗 A heart full of hustle: though we coordinate, we don't have management layers; instead, we rely on a tremendous degree of trust that we'll get our work done.
- 🧠 Raw intelligence / capability: we want each team member to add orthogonal perspectives, and upgrade our game.
- 🔍 High attention to detail: we work with sensitive data and documents, and our standards for security and precision are accordingly high.
- ⁉️ Endless curiosity: we love rethinking things just a little bit so we can figure out the most efficient, effective way to get work done.
Where you would spend your time
- 60-75% of your time will go towards your primary "job"
0-15% of your time will go towards your secondary "job". Because we love generalists, many of our team members find a second role that they love.
- For example, our operators are primarily focused on client service, but one of them owns vendor research, another owns our document classification system, etc.
- Our designer is primarily a designer but also pinch hits as a PM and coder. Etc.
- 10% of your time will be spent in meetings (Ugh - see below. We try to minimize as much as possible. But we also try to be fun people so maybe it's not horrible🤷).
- 15% of your time will go towards other crucial but essential responsibilities:
- Design / UX: We expect all of our teammates to take design and user experience into account in everything they do.
- Documentation: We don't ever want to overburden our team with recording actions and but we believe it's important for transparency, shared experiences, and long-term learning.
- Customer research: Everyone - from engineers to product to design to sales and marketing - should hear from our customers directly.
What you’ll get to shape with us long term
- Long-term product direction and culture of the company with decisions based on fact, first principles, and conviction (born of expertise).
- Rapidly iterated product and ops: start simple / intuitive and flesh it out over time.
- Workflow automation that will ultimately become the most powerful set of training data for how companies work.
More About the Problem
Today, "operations" is done by
- founders / execs dealing with unfamiliar tasks, by themselves
- a large number of people thrown at the problem, or
- expensive outsourced solutions (law firms, or audit / business process outsourcing firms like Deloitte or Accenture)
Parts of the operations stack have been solved piecemeal: payroll (Gusto, Rippling), legal (law firms, Clerky), cap table management (Carta, Pulley, Capshare), bookkeeping (Quickbooks, Pilot), legal doc management (Ironclad, DocuSign, Box), and so on...
All that still requires a founder / CEO / C[X]O to log into dozens of tools in order to get the most basic tasks done.
More About the Solution
The key pain point is anxiety over "unknown unknowns"
- knowing your company ("I don't know if we've issued stock to all our employees"; "I don't remember our [EIN / DUNS number / authorized shares] off the top of my head")
- running your company ("when should we get a bookkeeper?"; "need to remember to look at the Lever contract in 11 months before it auto-renews")
So, how do you solve it? We're turning "unknown unknowns" into a structured and thoughtful "OS" tailored to each client (with human and ML intervention). Think about a three-layer pyramid:
- The foundation is a secure, permissioned "digital filing cabinet" that solves the "know your company" problem: a repo for a company's data and documents spanning every function. Think of this as a Gitlab for your company.
- The next layer up is a process engine which runs on top of the repo, allowing an executive to initiate and manage new processes — this solves the "run your company" problem.
- The top layer is a human in the loop — a dedicated (fractional) operator to help fill in the gaps and solve nuanced needs. Sometimes, the best UI is a person!
We give back hundreds of hours a year in lost time to early-stage teams, and reduce anxiety in facing "unknown unknowns" or dealing with fire drills. We believe saving founders time so that they can focus on product & customers is the future of work. Becoming more efficient and effective leads to more viable businesses, which is good for everyone.
This document should tell you a lot about us! We put together this (very detailed) overview and process to embody our culture of transparency and efficiency, and create an unbiased applicant intake process. We had a bit of nerdy fun with it, and we hope you like it too! Thank you for considering us for your next journey 😇.
- re-thinking things, but not reinventing them
- good process, but not bureaucracy
- rationality, but not at the expense of empathy
We like efficiency. We geek out on elegant automation. We enjoy good wine and quality friends. We love saving money and finding the best deals but don't mind spending money to save time (time is our most precious resource!).
We are a small company. We don't have a lot of "management" right now and plan on keeping as flat an organization - filled with trusted doers - as possible. Right now, you'll report to one of our founding team members, but we're early, so you'll become a founding team member on day 1.
We all care deeply about creating a team and culture that is fun, that listens, and that creates the conditions for personal and business success, and we hope you do too... because you'll build that team and culture with us. If you're the right person, you'll be right there with us, shaping the company and running your own team.
- Enabling small companies to be more knowledgeable and thoughtful is one of the most powerful ways to augment effective innovation.
- We have fairly strong views on values that are rooted in fairness, empathy, and pragmatism. We wear them publicly and want you to help us shape them, too.
- We love smart generalists — those who are driven by curiosity, rather than solely building expertise in a single area.
- Simplifying complex things is deceptively hard. We’re trying to take multi-faceted companies, and boil them down into a few hundred parameters that define how their core operations work.
- We're working on a more complex problem than most startups (which is saying something!) but if we succeed, the addressable market is nearly unbounded. We aim to rival AWS or Salesforce in scope, impact, and market cap.
- We believe in a healthy work / life balance. We have team standups 5 days a week at 10 am PST. Beyond that, we limit meetings so that each of us can spend as much time as possible focusing. Poorly run or poorly planned meetings are the downfall of many organizations. We try to think and act differently.
- We work loosely on an Agile framework with two week sprints, epics, and tasks. We try to be flexible. We iterate - not only on our product but also on our processes.
- We believe in individual responsibility. We all have plenty to do and overseeing teammates is not one of them! Transparency and trust are two guiding values in everything we do.
Depending on seniority we offer a lot of equity (and fair cash). Every member of our team has been an early employee at another startup, and we know it can be a bad deal sometimes. So, until we've reached product-market fit and / or raised a Series A, we're doing things a bit differently: everyone is treated as a founding team member, not as an early employee. We offer 2-3x the market norm, so that you feel like a real owner of the company.
If what you read above excites you, we'd love to have a conversation. Here's a preview of our process:
- Complete our first (short) applicant intake form — link for Ops candidates (everything client-facing) and link for EPD candidates (eng, product, design)
At your option, complete the second, more detailed form (you'll be redirected from the first form).
- This is not required by any means - if you think you're a fit, we'd love to meet virtually. However, as a company that believes - deep in our digital bones - that organized process leads to efficient use of time and better outcomes, answering these extra questions will help both of us learn about the other and arrive at a faster, more intelligent decision.
- You'll get to know a bit more about how we think. We'll get to know more about how you think.
- And it's not one-sided — hopefully, this page, in all its extensive detail shows you that we're willing to go toe to toe in putting forth the effort to be transparent, detailed, and thoughtful.
- We'll get back to you within approximately a week.
- If we move to next steps, we'll schedule a 30-minute call to do an in-depth interview, followed by a second 30-minute call (depending on the role there may be a third interview).
- We'll talk to two to three of your references.
- If it's a fit, we'll make the offer!
If you have any questions whatsoever, please reach out. You are potentially part of our team so don't be shy!
Check out our Team, Investors and more in the link below!
Being fair is being long-term greedy - choosing short term outcomes is tempting, but life is long, and the world is small. Life is a multi-turn game. "Goodness" can be hard to agree upon. Try to decide if something is the right thing to do, and everyone will have a different opinion.